Friday, January 30, 2009

Total Randomness/Runners

Let me start by saying that I really wish that I loved to run. I see people in the freezing cold, in the rain, in the heat, etc...and always think "Man, I wish that I could make myself do that." But there's a problem...I hate it. I hate every step even more than the first. Think about it. It's the cheapest form of exercise, you can pretty much do it at anytime if you are willing, and I've been told it is a great way to just get away and clear your head. So what in the world make me think about this?....

Today when I was driving to go buy stamps I saw a pregnant woman running! And she wasn't a little bit pregnant...she was HUGE! WHY???? She was at least my size if not bigger and she was running down Shadow Creek Parkway! I wouldn't even attempt to go to a yoga class at this point in my pregnancy, let alone run down the street! And that brings me to my first point...people who like to run are actually a little bit crazy! Now, as I said, I wish I was one of those people, but this just proves it. I think runners have some inner sadistic quality. They like to torture themselves for some reason. Every time I see people running, all sweaty and nasty, I just think....why? They cannot possibly be enjoying what they are doing? No one can actually like the act of running. Now I can maybe understand that they are looking at the benefits after they run, but that's got to be all! People who run must be able to see the "big prize" at the end...

And here's my second point/epiphany....pregnancy is a lot like being a runner, and as we have established, I am not a runner!!! At least for me, the first trimester was like taking a leisurely stroll on a beautiful spring day. It was great! Even the beginning/middle of the third trimester was okay....summer was definitely coming, but it was still very comfortable outside. But now, it is a full blown Houston summer and the last thing that I want to do it be outside (unless it involves me laying in a pool)! And not only am I outside, I'm running down the hot asphalt street with no shoes on and those little pieces of loose gravel that stick all up in your feet! I can see my car waiting for me at the end of the road, but I don't even care anymore...I would be just as satisfied to have someone come and pick me up and carry me the rest of the way. It would take every bit of strength in me to tell the Dr. "No" if he offered to induce me at this very second (even though I really do think he should stay in there for another week). Now, if I had a runner's mentality not only would I just keep going, but I would maybe even try to sprint it out the rest of the way....I guess that's why God doesn't really give pregnant women a "choice" as to when they baby comes, because I know so many that would have given up weeks before they actually gave birth. At least I'm not alone. For purposes of pregnancy, I am trying to adopt this whole runners mentality. As much as I just want to sit down and stop (again, not that I really have a choice in the matter) I have to keep going until the end.

1 comment:

lala said...

Alana, I love reading your blog. You are a very talented writer. You really must publish your pregnancy notes. They are so funny and entertaining. Other expectant moms would love it.
I am excited about you reaching the 'finish line'. What a victory party we will have! And the prize you will receive will be worth the 'run'. Love you, Eric, and Henry