Monday, January 5, 2009

I I have Seen the Light!

Have I ever! I started feeling kind of blah on Friday night, but just thought it was some pregnancy aches and pains. Saturday got progressively worse, but I still just kind of thought I had a sore back and a headache. As the day went on I just felt worse, started running fever and just slept the rest rest of the day (well, as much as I could). When we were going to bed that night I told Eric I thought I might be having contractions, but we both just kind of dismissed it.

Well, yesterday morning there was no playing about.....I was in PAIN. I layed in bed until 10:30am and then couldn't take it anymore. I called the doctor and they told me to go to the the hospital to Labor and Delivery...say what?!?!? So we got up and headed that way and they had checked me in by 11:05. Because of the back pain/fever, they actually expected a UTI...once they got me hooked up to the TOCO they found out I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes! But the best part is yet to come. Eric and I are sitting in the room and we hear the most horrific sounding screaming that we have ever heard. No horror movie scream even compares! The woman next door was in the process of giving birth and had apparently decided to go au natural...I have never seen Eric's eyes stick that far out of his head. In the meantime, but pain was getting worse and they finally came in and confirmed that i was contracting. They said they would be giving me 3 sets of shots (15 minutes apart) to stop them. Well, the first one was a doozey...my heart raced, I got dizzy, felt nauseous...but it slowed down the contractions. We had to get my heart rate back down under 120 in order to administer the 2nd one (which took about 45 minutes). That one was much less than the first one, but it made my heart race a lot longer. It was AMAZING how much better I felt after they got the contractions to stop! Can I just say Thank God for modern medicine!

Moral of the story...natural childbirth out....all about the epidural as soon as possible!!!!! When my doctor came into see me this morning he said "i noticed you checked yes for the epidural" and just smiled...I said yes, after feeling what I am assuming are next to nothing contractions and hearing the woman next door....I WANT AN EPIDURAL!!! They can write it on my forehead if it helps me get one any faster.

Good news is that they monitored BB for almost 24 hours and he looks perfect =)...so at least we know that! My Dr. did say that i need to "take it easy". I'm not on bed rest, and even said I can work, but if I feel like I can't do it anymore I need to stop or even go part time if I feel like it's getting to that point. So we'll see how the next few weeks go....

But we're all ok! Eric's at work, me and BB are laying in bed and resting....everything should continue on as planned!
Alana

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh wow! I'm glad everything is okay! PTL for the miracle of the epidural. To be able to actually enjoy the birth experience is such a blessing!