Monday, April 6, 2009

Mission Accomplished!

We did it! We successfully took a newborn to church! He was such a good little boy. We sat through the baptism class today which was very interesting. They explained the purpose/why the Methodist church believes in infant baptism. Growing up Baptist, this is all very new to me. We always "dedicated" babies and baptism was a personal decision that was made once you decided to give your life to Christ. Before I decided to do this I wanted to know exactly what I was committing myself and my son to. In the Methodist church, infant baptism is basically the same as dedication. Before going to this class, my concern was that the church was doing this to "save" my child. I do not believe that a child needs to be saved. I believe that as you grow and learn about Christ you have to make your own personal decision to follow Him. I look at this experience as the first step for Mac in his spiritual life. As he grows up in the church and learns about our faith he will still have to make his own choice. The only thing that I don't like about infant baptism is that it's not the choice of the child. To me the reason that my baptism was special was because I made the choice to make a profession of faith and follow in Christ's example. However, I love our church and I believe that this is where we should raise our little guy. I am going to call the church office tomorrow morning to schedule the baptism, so hopefully it will be on Mother's Day!
On a completely unrelated note...my ankle is killing me! I have had 3 surgeries to fix it and it just never works. Every 2-3 years following the surgery, it seems to flare up again. I WILL NOT have another surgery because it obviously is not a long term solution. I've been trying to soak it in Epsom salts to see if that will help. It's not a stabbing pain, but it's just a constant dull ache...it's just frustrating. It really does affect what I can/want to do. I am actually very surprised that it didn't bother me while I was pregnant. I assumed that adding on weight would cause problems with my knees (which I have also had surgeries on) and ankle, but it was probably the longest I have gone in a long time without joint pain. Oh well, I've pretty much just come to the conclusion that my joints are going to hurt (I sound like an old person) and I'm just going to have to find a way to deal with it....
And...only 4 days till my b-day!!! YEAH!!!!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Alana, I'm so sorry about your ankle. That must be really frustrating after having multiple surgeries. About the baptism, Mac can always decide to be baptized again after he makes his decision to follow Christ. Even if it's your hubby baptizing him in a river or pool. Does that sound weird?