Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sleep Deprivation Is Not Pretty!

Okay, I actually was somewhat proud that I kept up the hair/make up during pregnancy. Now I admit I had a few slip ups towards the end, but over all I looked pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Well, those days are OVER! I am a complete mess, and you know what the best part is...I don't care! Mac doesn't care! Eric would probably appreciate a little brushing of the hair, but he's so tired too I'm not sure he has even really noticed all that much. One of my best friends warned me that the 2nd week is tougher than the first, but after the first week I thought "surely this kid is going to be a piece of cake." I even had the audacity to think that other people must be doing it wrong because I have this motherhood thing down! I think I may be being punished for my thoughts =). I don't think he's any worse than any other newborn, but I have never been so exhausted. I even have my Mom here this week and she is pretty much doing EVERYTHING and I still just can't seem to rest! I even took a 4 hour nap today and it didn't seem to help. My mom took a picture of me after my nap...my hair was literally standing straight up, I have bags under my eyes, and have milk running down my shirt (no, I will not be sharing this photo op). Motherhood is the greatest thing and I truly look forward to adding to our family...one day...but I don't think I truly realized just how tough it would be. I guess all the warnings and stories from friends and family didn't quite sink in =)

I do have to say...one thing I am actually appreciative of is that people have been "respectful" in terms of advice. No one, yet, has given unwanted advice or given me the "you're doing it wrong" look...so thank you because at this point it is quite possible that I would snap. It has been a welcome break because when I was pregnant everyone seemed to want to tell me how I should raise him, feed him, burp him, what I should/should not eat, etc. I'm sure the day will come when someone, is is probably trying to be helpful, gives me advice and I will either cry or scream, so let me go ahead and apologize now. And let me also say thank you to my friends who have gone down this road before.....THANK YOU SO MUCH. You have all given me so much encouragement and truly GREAT advice on everything from breast feeding to umbilical cords....again, thank you.

Okay, I'm going to try and sleep until the next feeding so I will talk to you all a little later!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I laughed so hard when you described that picture of yourself. I am right there with you! One time I let my heart get proud about what a good eater Jackson was in comparison to a friend's child who was an incredibly picky and difficult eater. Very soon after, Jackson got his first stomach bug and he was NEVER the same when it came to eating. I totally blew it!