Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mac's Birth Story

So, my birth story really isn't filled with a lot of drama since we had everything pretty well planned out about a week before, but I still want to share it...and as most people have said, I'm doing this more for me than anyone else =). 8 days before Mac was born Eric and I went to see the Dr. and due to my constant headaches and increasing BP he decided that it would be best to go ahead and plan to have c-section the next week. The hope was that my body would start to prepare for birth and dilate on it's on, but if not we would go ahead and plan the surgery. From the day I found out I was pregnant Eric had said that he was going to be born on February 12th...partly because we got engaged/married on the 12th and of course for the 12th man. When Eric realized that the 12th was only 8 days away his eyes lit up and he suggested that we plan the delivery for that day...I rolled my eyes and said "no way!" Next thing I know my Dr. comes back in the room and says that he has an opening on the 12th and the rest is history =). It was just meant to be! For the next 8 days I prayed and prayed that my body would start to prepare for his birth so that I could avoid the c-section. The thought of having someone cut my stomach open with my awake on a table just did not sound like a good idea. We went back to see the Dr. the Monday before we were scheduled just to check and of course nothing had happened...we were going to do this! I was nervous all week, but not too overly freaked out...that is until Wednesday. All day Wednesday I sat and worried. I cried at the drop of a hat. I was at Hobby Lobby, saw some baby stickers and lost it. Seriously, I was bawling my eyes out in the middle of Hobby Lobby. Eric and I went to dinner at Road House and I got teary eyed as I munched on some bread...it was ridiculous! Eric and I each wrote a letter to Mac just to tell him how much he meant to us and how excited we were to welcome him into our home...and of course I cried! Neither one of us slept too well that night just thinking about how things were about to change forever. The next morning I got up at 5:45am and got ready for the big day. Surprisingly my nerves had all but subsided at that point. I just felt calm. We got to the hospital and went to Labor and Delivery. I got dressed in the lovely gown they provided and answered a million and one questions for the nurse. My sister came back with us and gave us the cutest little bunny rabbit and some Aggie overalls that she made (by the way; I cannot wait for him to wear them!). Before I knew it, it was time to go. As I walked down to the OR I couldn't believe that we were doing this! I got up on the table and met the nicest anesthesiologist who explained the whole procedure for the epidural to me. A nurse came and stood in front of me and I leaned on her as they began. It wasn't bad at all! The worst part really was the numbing medication. There was a lot of pressure and then they were done! I laid down on the table and almost immediately my feet started to feel "hot." Within minutes, everything from below the chest was numb. It was the strangest feeling! I kept trying to move my feet/legs just for the heck of it....and of course that didn't work. I made the Dr.s laugh because I told them I felt like I was in the scene from Braveheart where they disembowel him (arms out/strapped down/about to be sliced open). All of the sudden there was a drape in front of me, Eric is sitting next to me and we were starting. There was so much pressure on my stomach. More than I could have ever imagined. It was very uncomfortable. The anesthesiologist kept saying "You're going to feel a lot of pressure when they get to the uterus." I kept thinking "How can they put more pressure on me!" Before long I understood what he meant. And then I heard the sweetest sound in the world. Who would think that a crying baby would sound so wonderful. They held him up and he was the most beautifully wrinkled little person I had ever seen! I loved him. But there was one surprise....I had been told he would be 7 1/2-8 lbs....he was 5 lbs 12 ounces! He was tiny! I just layed there on the table and Eric went over to be with Mac. I could hear him crying and it just made me relax. Everything was okay. Soon they brought him over to me and layed him on my chest. It felt so strange. This was the person that I had been waiting to meet for so long...and he was finally here! I just wanted to sit up and rock him (which probably would not have been the best idea at the time!). Before I knew it, Eric and Mac were off to meet the rest of my family and I was headed to recovery. I think they must have given me the good drugs then because the rest is kind of fuzzy. It seems like I was only in recovery for a little while before we headed to my room. My whole family was there which was nice and soon little Mac came to join us. It was the most special day of my life. I had said from the beginning that I wanted everyone to leave once they brought Mac in because it would really be my first time to be with him, but it just seemed right to have everyone there. Spending those first few hours with my son and my family was something that I will never forget.
Eric has been amazing. I mean, the guy has jumped at the chance to change diapers! He had planned on going back to work today, but he's going to wait until next week...he loves being a daddy...and he's so darn good at it! There is nothing more attractive than watching your husband take care of a little baby. My mom was actually staying with us this week, but now she's going to come next week since Eric will be here. Let me just say...for the day and half that she has been here...it was been AMAZING! She has done EVERYTHING for us! So thanks Mom!...we will definitely be ready to have you back next week!!!!!
Now a little more on Mac....he looks JUST like Eric. We looked at Eric's baby pictures and there is no denying that child! He's got Eric's blood type (A+) so he's more likely to have jaundice (apparently having a different blood type than the mother puts you at higher risk...I'm O+). We had to take him to the Dr. today because he was starting to look a tad too yellow. I felt better when the Dr. told us that it wasn't just me being a "Mom" and that he really did have jaundice. We have to go back for the next few days to check his billirubin levels, but she doesn't anticipate that we'll even have to treat him...that it will just go away on its own. He's eating more and more and she said that will help to get the yellow out of him quicker.
I am just amazed by him. I could just sit and stare at him all day! He's amazing when he sleeps, eats, poops, and burps!
Now lets talk about breastfeeding....I amaze myself! =). It just keeps coming! It is definitely work. I can see how it would be so much easier to just shake a bottle of formula and stick it in his mouth, but I know it's so good for him and I really do enjoy it for the most part. I am mostly pumping/putting it in a bottle for him because he's having a little bit a trouble feeding, but I think as he gets bigger it will be easier for him.
Okay, I have probably rambled enough for one night...I really need to go to sleep now, but I'm sure I won't!....And for those of you that have asked about stopping by please feel free! We really aren't overly tired/stressed or anything and would love for you to come and meet the little guy!

3 comments:

Nana said...

Alana, I can't wait to get back! I read your comments while on the phone with Mel and I cried, I love being Nana! Being able to help you, Eric and Mac has been a wonderful blessing. Please give Mac an extra kiss until I return!
I always felt like I lived in a fairy tale when you were born, now you get to experience that feeling!
I LOVE YOU,thanks for making me NANA!

Delia said...

Congrats!! Hope you guys can keep the jaundice under control.

Amanda said...

I'm so happy for you! Your birth story was so great. Thanks for sharing!