Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What Is That Smell???

You know the smell when food has gone bad? You know what's really annoying? When you have smelled the smell for a week and can't figure out what it is. I have gone through all the obvious places, the fridge, the freezer, I ran the disposal over and over in case something was down there, and even checked in the trash can in case "somebody" (you know who you are) threw trash in there without noticing there was no bag. I have come up empty handed for the last week...until today. I was looking for some scissors in our junk drawer (okay I won't lie, at this point they are all junk drawers) and this horrid smell arose. It was like in cartoons when you see the stinky smell line rise up into the air. There was a cut onion in a plastic bag sitting in the drawer! It was covered in mold and some reddish/pink stuff that I was unable to identify. So gross. Now I know I did not put an onion in the drawer and I know Eric does not like to be within 10 feet of an onion so who the heck put it in there? I think this may be one of those mysteries that is just never solved. Oh well....

In Mac news, he is healing really well from his surgery. The day of the surgery we got up REALLY early and headed down to the Med Center. I was hoping he would go back to sleep since it was hours before he usually gets up, but of course not. He was wide awake and ready to party. He was in pretty good mood until about the time we went back to the pre op area. By then he was hungry and I think just had a feeling something was going on. They gave us the cutest little hospital gown for Mac, butt open and all. It probably would have seemed a lot cuter if they weren't about to cut on my kid. The nurse told us that the best thing to do was just kiss him good-bye, hand him over and walk away. I hugged him tight, kissed him and followed directions. I handled it better than I thought I would. Within 25 minutes they had paged us to come back and see Mac. Unfortunately as soon as we got into PACU I could hear him wailing. They had warned us that kids, especially younger kids, are often very upset when they wake up from surgery. If you've ever had surgery you know how disoriented you are following the procedure. Imagine not even knowing you were having something done and waking up to strangers who can't explain what's happening to you. It's got to be scary. I'd like to say that he calmed down as soon as he saw us, but he didn't. He cried for a decent amount of time, but once we got in the car and got on the road he fell asleep. After a good 2 hour nap (one for me too), he was up and not really pleased. They gave us liquid Vicodin and I really appreciate it. Not only did it provide some comic releif (Mac was a nut when we gave it to him), it knocked him out within 20 minutes of taking it. We had planned on letting him sleep in our room, in the pack and play, that night, but Mac wasn't having it. He wanted to be in our bed. I think that was the first time Mac ever slept with us the whole night and it won't be a common occurence. We got no sleep. The next day was not too bad. He was actually in pretty good mood until lunch time. Things went south after that and we had to give him a couple of doses of Vicodin by the time the day had ended. The swelling, stitches, and bleeding were not pleaseant to see the first 2 days, but by Sunday it looked so much better. Today it looks pretty normal (minus the stitches). I also learned something through this whole process...a sponge bath does not work for more than one day when you have a stinky little boy! He wasn't allowed to bathe for 3 days and by Monday I was desperate to get him in the tub. So the title of this post also fits in this section...but I can answer the question...the smell was Mac!

With all the drama and craziness that has happened this last month I don't know why I was surprised to find out that the whole part time job thing wasn't going to work. VERY long story short, the job I was promised back in December, was not the job I was asked to do when I went into meet with my supervisor. After thinking about what they were asking of me, and talking to Eric, I called the next day to tell them I just couldn't do it. I would have had to work every second Mac was asleep or in school and give up my weekends/time with Eric and Mac just to get to the minimum number of hours they wanted. It just wasn't worth it. Honestly, I am kind of glad. I love spending time with my Mac and there is such a short period of time I have before he will be in school so for now, I think it's best to wait on getting a job.

Today was another zoo day for Mac and his buddy Will. Mac was not all that into it today. We headed straight for the petting zoo (aka Big Goat World) but there was very little interest. I mean, I was disappointed there were no brushes for him to groom all the goats, so I can only imagine how he felt =). There is one goat there that is just a freak of nature. I'm sure it's a different breed of goat than the others or something but this thing is huge. And it's my favorite. I have named him Dwight and we are buddies. I don't even know if Dwight is a boy...I didn't bother to look, but the name just fits. Dwight loves to have his chin scratched and he makes this noise that I don't even know how to describe. I'm sure everyone there thinks I'm insane because I just sit there and scratch the goat and laugh, but hey...it makes me happy =)
And here was Mac about 2 minutes after we got in the car:
And just as a side note...tell me that Mac isn't a star athlete in the making:

No comments: