Thursday, March 18, 2010

Yee-Haw!

Mac's last encounter with a farm animal did not go so well (see below).
In spite of this, we decided we would take him to the Rodeo. My sweet sweet husband took half a day off so that he could come with us, and we had a really great time! From the moment we arrived at the carnival entrance Mac's eyes were open wide. He got to have a few bites of Daddy's corndog (which he loved) and then we were off to see some animals. When we walked into the building and saw the tractors and booths ( and the smells, oh the smells), Mac was intrigued. I was interested to see how well he did once we got over to all the animals. We passed by all the cows first and he looked, but didn't really seem to care. Then came the pigs. Move over Heisman, Mac may have a new favorite animal! Most of the pigs/hogs/or whatever they are were laying in their pens with some body part hanging out (a nose, a tail, a leg) into the public walking way. We let Mac out of his stroller to take a look and I think he would have crawled in there if we would have let him. My theory is that most of the pigs were black and white, with flat noses, floppy ears, and snorting so I'm sure he thought they were simply supersized versions of his puppy. He kept trying to stick his hands through the bars to touch their noses.

So far so good. We decided that we would be really brave and take him to the petting zoo....and...he LOVED IT! He loved on some sheep, a few goats, a pot-belly pig, a deer, and a big old llama. I personally am not a fan of the llamas. They bite, they spit, and there are generally just unpleasant creatures in my opinion, so when I saw my son beating on a llamas back like he was playing with his puppy, I decided it would be best to move on to another animal. Mac tried to get a little kissing action in with a few of the animals but we were able to catch him right before the tongue came out.

One thing that I have never seen at the Rodeo is a "birthing area" for the sheep and pigs. It's over in the kids section which I thought was very strange. They had tv screens all around the area showing the anatomy of a cow and how the calf comes out ,etc., etc....Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with Mac seeing a live animal birth, but I am sure there are some people that would not appreciate that. I just see some kid looking over and being traumatized...oh well, I guess it's a natural part of life!
Now there is one rule I have about the Rodeo...you can't leave without having a Funnel Cake! Funnel Cake may be one of the most sinfully delicious food items in the world...and now you can get them with toppings/sauce. Eric wanted caramel so we compromised and he got it on the side. Mac was in heaven. Fistfuls of Funnel Cake being shoved into his mouth =)

And just as a side note...have you ever noticed that after you leave the Rodeo you smell like the Rodeo...you know what I mean...

Eric had to go out of town that night so Mac and I decided we would have a sleep over at Grandmama's house. She knows Mac loves measuring cups so when we got over there she had pulled out all of the cups for Mac to play with..and of course he had a blast. He was in such a great mood while we were over there. I mean, who wouldn't enjoy running around naked after a bath and playing with plastic cups?!?! The next morning was a different story. He was just cranky and clingy. I couldn't figure out what was going on. I took Grandmama to run some errands and while she was getting her hair done Mac and I decided to do a little shopping. When we got into Pier One I started smelling this rotten egg smell and realized it was probably Mac. I took him to the bathroom and I almost couldn't change him. His pants were sopping wet all the way down to his feet! He had a serious blow out and I had to step back for a minute before I could even start to clean him up. I had to go and buy the child some new clothes just so he had something to wear! I'm thinking that the Funnel Cake and Corndog did not sit well on that little tummy. And just to make it a little worse, he threw up in the car. A bottle of Pedialyte later he seems to be feeling fine today.
In other Mac news, I scheduled his "re-circumcision" for next Friday. The nurse said I won't get a surgery time until the day before, but they always schedule kids under 2 for the morning time slots. I can't imagine not letting Mac eat all day so that's good news. I'm not really that concerned about the procedure....I mean, having tubes put in requires a higher level of anesthesia than this will, but it's afterwards that worries me a little. There is no way this is going to feel good! I just hope they send him home with some meds to help out...I mean, OUCH!
And here's a random one...Mac eating a lemon...he likes them (despite the face)...

No comments: