Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Very Routine

I've heard that phrase quite a few times this week. Well, let me just tell you, when they are going to cut on your child the term"very routine" does not apply! As I've already mentioned, Mac has to be re circumcised and we scheduled the procedure for this Friday. I got call this morning and found out that we have to be at the surgery center at 6 am...ugh. The surgery should start at 7am and take around 30 minutes. I have a feeling that it will be the longest 30 minutes of my life. While I was going over all the pre op instructions with the nurse I asked her about pain medication and discomfort after the procedure. This has been my biggest fear about the whole thing. I just don't want to have Mac screaming and not be able to comfort him. She said that while he is under anesthesia they will give him a caudal block. Basically it will keep the groin area numb for a little while so he shouldn't be in any pain right when he wakes up. They will also give us a prescription for Vicodin in liquid form. She said a lot of kids don't even need it, but they like to send it home with the patient just in case. I asked if I should expect to have a little monster at home for a few days and she said that he probably won't be the happiest little guy, but by Monday he should be back to normal. He will have 4-5 dissovable stitches put in (yuck), but at least he won't have to have them removed.
I absolutely love the surgeon. He is the nicest guy and you almost feel like you're talking to your grandad. A lady in our Sunday school class had to have her son re circumcised a few years ago and she used the same surgeon. He has apparently been given the nickname the "King of Circumcision" because he does so many...I guess that's a good thing?
I already know what the worst part of this whole thing will be....handing him over to go into the OR. I know he's going to cry, and I know he's going to be scared, and I know there is nothing I can do to make it better. I hate that he's going to have this done, but I know it's better now than 10 years from now. I'm just ready for this to be done and have him back in my arms....

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh Alana! That is rough! I'm sorry Mac has to go through that. Poor guy.