Sunday, August 29, 2010

My New Love

Of course I am referring to my new wood floors! I LOVE them! It makes such a huge difference when you walk in the door. It's like I got a whole new house. Mac has been enjoying them as well. Sliding on them, tap dancing on them, and he even tried to give them that used look by beating his golf club on them (Mommy stopped that one). But hey, we got distressed wood for a reason, right? I have yet to move all of his toys back down stairs. It's just so nice to have a clean, clutter free living room, but this too shall pass. We replaced the carpet in the dining room too, but I need to take pictures.


So I need some advice. We are slowly adopting the policy of in with the old, out with the new in terms of living room furniture. The couch, entertainment center, and tv will eventually be replaced. We have found a couch we like and are waiting to see if the price drops over Labor Day weekend (fingers crossed). We have talked about what type of entertainment center we want. We have decided to go with a wooden base, not a full blown entertainment center with shelves. Here is my question, do you think it would be a bad idea to completely forgo a TV? What I was thinking about doing was just getting a big base (it will be tall) that runs the length of the wall. There would be shelves inside for storage, toys, etc. Trust me, I love TV just as much as the next person, but I just feel like it's being watched too much. I feel like it is a distraction at night. When Eric gets home I would really like for us to just be together as a family when we are downstairs. I have no problem with us going upstairs to watch the big TV if there is something we want to see, but I don't really see any reason to have one in the living room. As I said, we have the big TV in the media room upstairs and a TV in our bedroom so it's not like we wouldn't be able to get to one if we wanted to. My idea is to get a small TV/DVD combo for the kitchen so that Mac starts having a meltdown while I'm cooking or cleaning we could always pop in some Yo Gabba Gabba. So...what do you think? Horrible idea or good idea to have some extra family time?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alana, I love your idea. We have a TV in every room of the house except the bathrooms. We really have no family time, they are on all of the time.

Unknown said...

From my experience, it's a great idea if you're truly okay with the idea that when your man wants to watch some tv they have to "intentionally" extract themselves from being around.

i had a friend who did the same thing, thinking it would totally change habits. Habits are habits for a reason, and what she found was frustration because her husband would leave downstairs to go watch tv in another room, and it caused all sorts of major problems because she saw it as "he doesn't want family time" where he saw it as "this is where she wants me to watch tv now"...

especially with football season, and knowing eric, I would try to do it in the springtime after bowl season, and see if the habits can change prior to football season next year (practice through the spring/summer)

just an idea...

Alana said...

thanks for the comments guys!

Kourtney...I def. see where you are coming from knowing Eric's football habits! I actually don't have any problem with him going upstairs to watch football. My thing with the tv is that we end up using it as background noise and aren't really watching anything anyway. We aren't in any hurry to throw it out just yet. I want to find the funiture I want before the tv gets tossed!