Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Words Of Wisdom From A Supermodel

When i think of the great scholars of all time I think of Leonardo da Vinci, Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, and of course....Gisele Bundchen. I'm not saying all models are dumb, but let's face it, they're not generally known for their intellectual prowess. And that brings me to my point; Gisele's interview in Harper's Bizaare UK. The supermodel, aka Tom Brady's baby mama, was quoted as saying, "Some people here [in the U.S.] think they don't have to breastfeed, and I think 'Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?'," and my favorite, "I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months." Let me start off by saying that I have the utmost respect for women who breastfeed. I only lasted 2 months, and it was hard. I am amazed when I hear about people who do it for 6 months, and astonished when I hear of sticking it out for a year. Kudos to you all. That being said, I felt like a failure when I stopped breastfeeding. My reasons are my reasons and I won't get into that, but I cannot stand it when women, celebrity or not, get on their soap box about breastfeeding. In almost all cases I think that breastfeeding is the best thing that you can do for your child. I mean, it's what your body was meant to do. At the same time, not everyone is physically able to do it. Not everyone is emotionally able to do it. And believe it or not, not everyone wants to do it. Do any of these reasons make you a bad mother? No!!!

I had a friend tell me if I stopped breastfeeding, Mac would not bond with me. Well let me tell you, he loves me and he loves his Daddy...and I know Eric never breastfed him!

I write this only to say, chose your words carefully, especially when talking to or about Moms. I know I used to cast judgement, and I'm sure I will again, but just think before the words roll of your tongue. Remember how you used to feel when all the "wise women" gave you little tips and advice to make you a better mother. And also remember, when you do receive unsolicited advice, I still get it all the time, just smile, nod, and go on with your day as though it never happened (unless of course it helps!)

No comments: