Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Long Road Home

Last night when Eric got home from work we decided to take Mac for a quick walk around the neighborhood before it got dark. We put Mac in his stroller and headed out. We were about halfway done when Mac decided he was a big boy and did not wish to be in a stroller anymore. I figured, let the boy walk...it will wear him out! He walked for a little while on his own, but became easily distracted by a child on a bike, a child with a ball, a blade of grass; so back in the stroller he went. Of course he was not going to allow that after being out on his own so we let him walk again. I got a few feet ahead of him, turned around to walk backwards and started softly singing the alphabet song to him (Mac's favorite). He danced, clapped his hands, and started walking again. Little did I know that I would spend the net 20 minutes walking backwards down the street and singing the "ABC's" to my child. Every time I stopped Mac sat on the ground and cried. Now if you had of asked me what I would have done 14 months ago in the same situation my response would have been simple...put the kid in the stroller and walk home, but it's no longer that simple. The look of happiness that Mac gets on his face every time he hears that song somehow made it worthwhile for me to look like the crazy lady on the block. I just can't say no to those chubby little dancing legs. After a 20 minute walk you would think Mac would be exhausted right? Wrong. Not only would he not go to sleep, he would only let Eric hold him. He was clawing to get away from me and into his Daddy's lap. You kind of start to take it personally when your kid is hysterically struggling to get out of your arms...oh well, today he can't get enough of me so I guess I'll forgive him =).
Here's a video of Mac dancing to his ABC song. Please forgive the singing/yelling on my part =). Of course I have not been able to catch him really doing the hardcore dancing, but here's a little taste:

No comments: