Monday, November 16, 2009

9 Month Check Up

I took Mac to the doctor on Monday for his 9 month check up and he is getting to be such a big boy! He is 21.2 lbs and 28 1/2 inches. When I took him in last month for his 2nd flu shot he weighed 20 lbs so he has put on a little over a pound in a month! Let's be honest, most of us can go up or down a pound from day to day, but for a baby it seems like a lot. As I was sitting in the exam room, I had Mac laying on his back on the table and noticed that he has a new tooth on the top that has now broken through. I am praying that this explains the screaming and overall unpleasantness that we have experienced over the past few day. He does have a runny nose and a cough which she thinks is just some viral thing that he will continue to have since he is around other kids, but other than that he's a happy healthy little man. His doctor asked me if he responds to his name, which he does, and also if he responds to "No." I told her that yes he does respond to "No" but he does so by laughing in your face. She asked me if I was saying it with a serious voice so I picked Mac up because I knew he would try and grab my necklace. When he did I put on my serious Mommy face and said "Mac, no." And as expected I got a head tilt followed by a big laugh...she said good luck =).

Mac always seems to have a blast at the doctor's office...I am really thinking about buying the kid a roll of doctor's office paper for Christmas. He rips it, throws it, wraps himself up in it, tosses it in the air...it's just a grand time for him. I'm sure the nurses just love that, but I clean up when we're done.

I am also excited to report that Mac has a "word" for me now. He calls me "Mmmmmm." He's trying. He will just be sitting there saying "Mmmmm" until I turn around and look at him. He has also started raising his hands in the air when he wants to be picked up. He just sits and waits for someone to come and get him...
I also wanted to give everyone an update about my friend Joe Houston who went missing 3 weeks ago today. They found Joe's body this morning in the cockpit of the plane. While I know that the best situation would have been for Joe to be rescued and have an amazing story to tell, I am just so thankful that he was found to provide closure for his friends and family. Please continue to keep his fiance, Jenn, and all involved in your prayers. Instead of planning her wedding, she will be attending his funeral. Jenn has been a pillar of strength throughout this whole ordeal, posting prayers and thoughts on facebook. Personally, she has been a true inspiration and an example of who God should be in all of our lives.

Today was also the 10 year anniversary of the day Bonfire fell at A&M. It is one of those moments in life that I will always remember. It was my freshman year at A&M and I lived in a dorm directly across from the fields where the stack went up. I still remember getting phone call after phone call and people running up the halls knocking on doors in the early hours of the morning. Standing out at that sight and seeing those massive logs, knowing that people were trapped beneath them was heartbreaking. 10 years ago today, the families and friends of 12 people were completely turned upside down. Remember those people today....

No comments: