Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Nice Mommy

I have decided that I need to start writing down some of the conversations that we have with Mac and some of the things that he says. Here is what we discussed on our way home from a museum playdate today:
Mac: Mommy, I shared water.
Me: You shared your water?
Mac: I shared water. Wash hands.
Me: Huh?
Mac: I shared water. Wash hands.
Me: What? (now repeat this part of our conversation a few times)
Mac: I SHARED WATER MOMMY! WASH HANDS!
Me: Oh, you shared the water and let your friends wash their hands in the sink?
Mac: Yes. I nice.
Me: That was very nice Mac.
Mac: I very nice friend. (repeat 10 times)
Me: Mac, it makes Mommy very proud when you are nice and share with your friends.
Mac: Halen nice friend. Caleb nice friend too.
Me: Your friends are very nice Mac. It's fun to play with your friends and be nice
Mac: I nice Mommy. I shared water. I nice. Mommy, I nice. Mommy, I get cake? I very nice Mommy.
I think he is starting to understand sharing...and apparently he thinks he gets smoething if he does it! Up until a month or so ago if you told Mac to share, he would run up to a kid, take his toy, tell the kid to share, and run away. So technically he understood "sharing." He just thought it meant people needed to share with him. I'll give Ellie a little bit of credit for Mac's new comprehension. I've probably told him a million times that he has to share the "wuckie" (pacifier) with Ellie. It's her pacifier, but I think it makes him feel like he's doing something nice if I make it sound like he has a choice in the matter. Regardless, I didn't catch him snatching any toys from anyone today so maybe it's all sinking in.
I also learned something about myself on the ride home today. Mac started saying "Daddy song. Ball in the hole." (I made up a song about Daddy with Mac. The two most popular versions are "Ball in the hole" and "Kick the football.") So I sang him his song. Then he started asking me to sing the Mommy song. Well there is no Mommy song, but I was happy to oblige and asked him what Mommy does. He got his serious face on for a few seconds, pointed at me and screamed "Mommy clean floors!" Really? So then I was curious to find out what else might come out of his mouth so I asked him what else Mommy does. Lets just say my job consists of cleaning floors, reading books, cooking, feeding Eggie, and saying no. I guess he calls it like he sees it!
School is out for a few weeks and I'm glad. You would think having him out of the house to get things done/take care of Ellie would be a welcome break, but it really isn't. It just turns into a hassle to go and get him. Ellie always seems to be ready to eat right as I need to go and pick him up, the kids in his class literally swarm her stroller (they almost knocked the carseat off one day!), and then I end up dragging Mac through the parking lot because he doesn't want to go home (and yes, this is the same child who screamed his head off when he was dropped off). Plus, when my car's thermometer reads 125, I really don't want to get in it or put my newborn in it either! We did get something fun from the school last week though. They let the kids plant beans and Mac's has exploded. He tells me everyday "Sun and water Mommy. Sun and water." So each morning we water his little plant and put it in the window to get some sun. He must have more of a green thumb than his mother because the thing is still growing! He is obviously proud because every night he shows Daddy his beans.

Mac made quite a mess last night. I went in the other room to hang up some clothes and I hear a loud crack/crash followed by crying. Fabulous. I came running back into the living room to find Mac, and the baby swing, on the floor. Poor guy just wanted to go for a little ride, but I think the swings weight limit is 20 lbs which Mac was at about 11 months. Needless to say, the swing is no more. But there is good news in all of this. Ellie hated the swing anyway and our neighbor let us use her daughters that has multiple settings and Ellie loves it! It buys me some extra sleep time from her during the day! Mac keeps walking over to the swing and pointing at it and saying "No touch. Mac no touch." Hopefully he learned his lesson because I'd prefer not to have to buy our neighbor a new swing!
But the big news is that we are planning on starting potty training at the end of the month. Honestly, I do NOT want to do it. I know how stubborn and hard headed he is and I can't imagine things going smoothly. We are using the 3 Day Potty Train method. Everyone I know swears that in 3 days your kid is potty trained...but it's 3 days of hell! Quick overview: put your kid in big boy underwear and repeat the phrase "Tell Mommy/Daddy when you need to go potty, okay?" over and over and over again. Keep telling them they need to get their big boy pants dry and go overboard on praise when they actually use the bathroom in the toilet. There's a lot more too it than that, but basically it says to prepare yourself for lots of "accidents" all over your house for at least 24 hours. I had a friend tell me to roll up my rug and cover the couch...no joke...because her kid literally destroyed everything that couldn't be wiped down on the first day! I know it needs to be done and I'm sure that I'll be happy once he's potty trained, but honestly, it's just not that big of a deal to me right now. I have quite a few friends with boys Mac's age and none of their kids are potty trained either, so I don't feel like we are behind. Plus, I'll be honest, it's a lot easier to change a diaper at the mall, restuarant, or on a trip than to deal with wet/dirty pants, underwear, socks, etc. The fact that he's in size 6 diapers and they are almost too small is probably a sign that it's time, but I realize that this is just one more part of my life that will change. Whatever we are doing, we have to stop when he has to use the bathroom. It's hard to be constantly on call with Ellie around. It seems that all the husbands are pushing the potty training issue and the Moms are fine changing a few diapers each day. Hmmm, could that be because the Moms will be cleaning up all the mess??? But for the record....I do agree. I think it's time. I am sure that this whole experience will warrant a blog post...but I promise, no pictures of the aftermath!
And in important Ellie news....her best friend, Miss Olivia Ann Himes was born on July 29th! She is a doll! Eric and I met Beth and Ryan (the parents) about 5 years ago when we were living in an apartment in the Med Center. I never thought we would both be pregnant and having girls at the same time! They've even had their first playdate already. They spent the time eating, crying, and sleeping, but I could tell they had a fabulous time! Love them!


Here are a few of my favorite pics from the past couple of days and a cute video of Mac "reading" his book "Go Dog Go!"












2 comments:

Sarah said...

I used the three day method as well. It worked! It actually took 4 days before we were accident free but after that fourth day there were very few accidents. I did wait though until my son was almost 3. I only did so because I knew I'd have the time then. Just when I got to the point I thought about giving up he made a complete turn around at the end of day three. I think it was because I switched his reward to one m&m everytime he went in the potty. He loves chocolate and I guess he thought one m&m was worth it. I only had to keep giving him the candy for about 2 weeks after. Best of luck!

angelenaalessandro said...

Audi a5 car mats are not only beneficial for the protection of the car, but also for the comfort of the driver. The better quality mats can help to shield against dirt and dust.