Monday, August 22, 2011

Big Boy

We've really been talking a lot about this whole potty training thing with Mac the past few weeks. He is so excited about wearing his big boy underwear this weekend. Everyday he asks if he can wear them. I'm hoping that's a sign that things will go smoothly. Any time we mention underwear he tells me "keep them dry" or "no more diapers!" I'm taking him this afternoon to go and pick out his big boy prizes for when he uses the potty, so hopefully that will get him even more excited about this weekend.
Unfortunately we are still having issues with getting Mac to bed. We have been letting him fall asleep in our bed and then taking him upstairs before we go to sleep. The last 2 times I have put him in his bed before he fell asleep, he got so worked up/upset that he threw up. Last night we tried again to put him in his bed and he had a complete meltdown. I felt so bad for him. We sat in the floor in his room to try and get him to calm down for a while, but he was not having it. And of course, I caved. But before we headed back downstairs we had a long talk about being a big boy. I told him that this was his last night to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's bed and that he had to be a big boy and not cry when he went to sleep. This morning when I went to get him out of bed, I got my typical, "Good morning Mommy" followed by "No sleep in Daddy bed now." I was pretty surprised that he remembered and even more so that he seemed to understand. Then he told me "No cries tonight Mommy." I told him he was being such a big boy and you could just see how proud he was of himself. I've been telling him how we will read lots of books in his room tonight and it will be so much fun so we'll see how it goes. I promised him I would buy him Tow Mater and McQueen sheets if he slept in his bed with no cries 5 times in a row. He has told me "Big boy car sheets" every time I mention going to sleep so hopefully the bribe will work!
Nap time is usually not a very calming event either, but today I told him that big boys take naps and don't cry. He started getting a little teary eyed when we went up the stairs, but when I laid him in his bed he just looked at me and said "Mommy be back soon. I sleep." What?!?!?! I think he actually gets it! I guess the only bad part is that I'm going to have to give him little prizes to keep this going for a while. Oh well, at this point I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the kid in bed!

No comments: