Friday, July 29, 2011

Bringing Home Baby

I could not wait to get out of the hospital! Besides the fact that someone (you know who you are!) accidentally pulled out my epidural on the 2nd day but no one realized it until they went to take it out and I therefore went 3 days without pain medication, it wasn't horrible, but I just wanted to be home. I was so excited to just be in my house and be a family. I was so excited to put her in the same dress that I came home from the hospital in. It was a perfect fit an she looked beautiful.

I on the other hand was having a little bit of a wardrobe malfunction. I planned on wearing home the same dress I entered the hospital wearing. I guess I forgot what happens when your milk comes in. Let's just say I should have changed my name to Pamela or Dolly on the spot. One of the nurses actually asked me if I had a breast augmentation. Apparently they were so large she could not fathom any other reason they would be that size! (32 G people...yes, that's what I said) The pain...oh the pain! Well, despite having to wear a sweater in the Houston heat just to shield any innocent by-standers from my ridiculously large bust, it was pretty uneventful.

We got home and for the most part made it all about Mac. He was not too thrilled to have a little sister based on his reaction to her in the hosptial so we wanted him to feel like he was still the star of the show.



We quickly learned that Mac truly had no interest in having a little sister around. He didn't want to hug her, kiss her, or even look at her. Fortunantly, as the weeks have passed, he has slowly come around. I'll admit, we jump started the process by bribing him with candy if he would just come near her, but it worked! Now he is so sweet to her. He loves to kiss her head and her feet. He gets diapers when it's time to change her and he always says "Mac help?" whenever we give her a bottle. Anytime she cries he will walk over to her with a very concerned face and say "Eggie, it's okay." He immediatly starts to look for her pacifier and will bring it to me so I can give it to her. He also likes to give her fist bumps and high fives...such a guy. But my favorite thing of all, is watching as he has become protective of his little sister. The first day I picked Mac up from school on my own after Ellie's birth, a few of the kids in his class were interested to see her. One of the teachers picked up his friend Freeman to catch a glimpse and Mac immediatly ran over to the stroller and yelled "No Freeman! My Eggie!" One of my sweet friends offered to watch Ellie once a week so that I can take Mac to the pool. When I dropped her off the other night Mac burst into tears and kept saying "Eggie come swim? Eggie go to pool?" But my favorite moment so far was today when I had to take her to the doctor (reflux is an ugly little monster). While we were in the waiting room he went up to everyone there and told them "That my Eggie." I honestly wish I could just stop time. Mac is at an age that I just adore. He makes up and sings little songs (even though I usually don't know what he's saying). He tells me how much he loves me, Daddy, Eggie, Heisman...oh, and Tow Mater. We can't forget Tow Mater! He wants to sit in my lap and read books which I love, and he is constantly making me laugh. Listening to him talk and sing is just so sweet and innocent. I wish it never had to change.
So, all in all, I think we've had a pretty smooth transition so far. I had forgotten how tiring a newborn can be, but I know it won't be long before I look back and realize that my baby is a toddler so I'm trying to soak up every moment while I can.
Here are a few pictures from Ellie's newborn shoot:



No comments: