Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pink Overload!!!!

Thank God for fabric stores! I cannot find one bedding/sheet set that I like for a girl. It really surprises me because I have met quite a few people who do not want pink for their little girls. You would think there would be more out there to choose from. It seems like the options are pink or completely unisex. Before I say this, let me just say that if your little girl has a bright pink room all decked out in frills and lace that's okay....but it's just not my thing. I have never been a pink person or a girly girl. I was never really a tomboy, but I didn't play with dolls. I was a Heman girl. Until I graduated from college, most of my good friends were guys. Don't get me wrong, I have always enjoyed getting dressed up, putting on make up, etc, but for the most part, jeans and a t-shirt are the preferred choice. All that to say, I want Ellie to have a feminine room, but not a girly room. Does that even make sense? I want something very simple that can easily convert to a big girl room one day.

That brings me to my trip to High Fashion Home today to check out some fabric. It might be my new favorite place to shop. They have everything from furniture, to kitchen decor, baby/kids clothes, gorgeous women's clothing and jewelry, and of course more fabric than I could have even imagined. I was a little overwhelmed by it all at first, but decided I would just stroll down the isles and snap a few pictures of anything that caught my eye. I really am leaning towards very earthy, neutral colors with yellow and brown accents. I found a few other colors that I liked (mostly blues), but the yellows are my favorite. This should make Eric very happy since the room is already painted a very pale yellow. I'm going to get a few opinions on the fabrics I found and them hopefully get the sheets and bed skirt made. Fortunately I have a friend who sews and can pick out what I really like instead of just buying something that I'm really not that fond of. I am so excited!

Based on my description of possible room decor, you have probably gathered that you will not see my daughter decked out in head to toe pink. I think you can have delicate and beautiful clothes that are any shade so I don't see any reason to use a color that isn't a personal favorite. Now I do realize that people are going to buy her pink and I will absolutely appreciate the thought behind it. I'm not anti pink, but I can only take it in small amounts. I think a cute shirt with some pink on it is great, MAYBE even a very light and delicate pink dress in the spring time (we'll see). You can even accent an outfit with some pink shoes or bow. And yes, I fully recognize that my personal feelings about this almost guarantee that I will have a little girl who is obsessed with all things pink. And I promise, once she's old enough to say she wants to wear pink that's fine. I'll let her rock hot pink from head to toe, but until that day comes, I'm thinking we are going to go in another direction!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't wait to see what bedding you come up with. I dressed Annabeth in lots of pink as a newborn, but then I realized that blue - of all things - was her best color! She has lots of color in her wardrobe. You won't find it hard to get away from pink. Have you been on Etsy yet? All the handmade baby girl stuff is like crack.

Alana said...

I LOVE little girls in blue. But then again, blue is my favorite color. With Mac it wasn't that hard to stay away from Etsy. I would find cute little things here and there, but now I can't get away from Etsy!! The stuff on there is just to cute!